Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Dream: Improbable Incidents in Open Spaces

I am in a minor league ballpark. I am not sure if it is as large as a major league park, but it is definitely more wide open; possibly because of a lack of seating. The lack of seating may also be the reason I am standing in the middle of the outfield instead of watching the game from the stands. I am definitely not playing in the game, so I start moving toward the dug-outs to exit the field. The game goes on, I am not interfering with the game, but have now become a part of it. Players from the outfield start throwing high, arching baseballs in attempts to land on on top of my head. The baseballs explode into the ground, getting buried in the field. Grass clumps fly up around me. The baseballs land sporadically around me like cannonballs missing a ship in open water. As i get off the field I notice the pitcher, no actually all the other players are my friend from high school and college, Jabari. Jabari left out of nowhere one day to go to Ohio for love. I ask him what he is doing playing baseball and a speech bubble protrudes from his (the pitcher one's) mouth, telling me that it is the easiest class to pass. Turning and exiting the dug-out is exiting a cave, on vacation with the rest of my friends from the main crew. Crene, Jared, Courtney and Joe lay with me and talk out side of some ancient ruin. There are statues embedded in the side of the wall and I throw a rock at one, not thinking about whether it will damage the relic. The form seems fine and it is seen as a normal action by everyone else. It is time for me to be going so I take the train up to New Hampshire, but the scenery looks more like the south of France; not that I've been there. There are beautiful floral lakes and fields all around me and no sound whatsoever; it is completely silent. I end up on a lake with pink, dish-shaped flowers on lily pads that is more like a bog in Florida than a lake in SoFra. I am on my back, relaxing, looking up through the foliage at a hazy white-blue sky, and i am movin, and I mean movin! A jet ski behind me is pulling me through the bog and I am loving it. I am completely trusting of whoever the driver is and where we are going. I am unconcerned, that is, until I turn around. Facing forward I become increasingly anxious about the route we are taking. All of a sudden in a small section of the bog, isolated by two sharp turns in the waterway and the thick foliage of the surrounding land, the driver stops, leaving me floating, almost motionless 200 feet away. I am being drawn toward the driver, but there is an interruption. Coming from around the bend we just travelled, Sabrina shows up on the cruise-ship of jet skis. She does a few amazing little maneuvers that expose the bottom of her vessel, and she comes to a rest right next to me. She is followed by Katy and Allyssa, in a similar triple-stacked, double-wide jetski. They seem not to pick up on my nervousness even though when they ask how I am doing, my throat is too tight to allow an answer to pass through. They continue on their way and I continue to be pulled, faster this time toward my driver. As I come closer I notice his form, small and hunched, standing waist deep in the water next to his 'Jesus Saves' Monster Truck Jet Ski. He has the clothing of a high school algebra teacher: an old button up shirt that may have been white at one point, but is now the color of cedar water, even though it is dry. His tie is plain-brown and tight. He is waist deep in the water but his pants are hiked up over the water line. Along with his slouching, and being dwarfed by the jet ski, his high pantline makes him look smaller than me. It is not until I stand right next to him that the cause of my subconious angst is revealed. The water instantly fills the entire atmosphere. It bubbles and its colors alternate columns of green and purple waves, reminicent of a cartoon nuclear poison. I am drowning next to the man, who is now fat and scruffy. I don't even try to get away, there is nowhere to go. I am less afrraid now even though a new danger has presented itself: Death Spikes, metal skulls on the ends of taught chains move toward me at a steady even pace; they are not fast, they are not slow. The skulls have long metal spikes around them. Inexplicably, I know I am going to be ok. I wake up, wound up and have trouble falling back to sleep. When I do I am in the middle of the ocean one jumb away from a horseshoe island in the middle of the ocean. The island is made up of connected blocks, on which apes stand with primitively fastend spears. My girlfriend Renae is already on the island and warns me of the nature of it. There is a giant squid, she telepathically communicates to me, that feeds on the fish in the middle of the island. When an ape notices the squid he warns the others by smacking his spear on the water, letting them know that although there is a lot of fish action, they should not risk going after them, because of the deadly squid. I let myself slowly fall onto an empty block around the island and it falters a little. At the exact moment I am in the air, the ape to the block next to me smacks the water with his spear. The squid is present and it is right next to my block, which is now steady. Renae again telepathically warns me of the squid. She is a presence in the dream, but is no longer on the island. I try to tell her I will be okay as I stare down and contemplate the squid next to my block. I partially do not believe myself and I am not sure if Renae heard me, she is no longer present. I take the dive anyway, 30 feet straight down next to the squid. As soon as I land in the water my momentum continues, only it is horizontal. The squid pushes me with its big squid head, trying to position me for snacking on, but my feet stay steady. I actually adjust so that the squid pushes me down further. I arch up as we gain momentum. I am now headed straight for the surface at super-squid speeds. I breech the surface and push off as hard as I can from the killer squid. I know that his mouth will be waiting for me on my way down. At the point in mid-air that I should begin my decent I decide I am just going to keep going up instead. I watch, the spear-bearing apes, the thin-horseshoe island, the killer squid, shrink as the ocean becomes more vast in my view. I must've made it to space. I wake up feeling like I am floating.

1 comment:

renie_seagull said...

That is INTENSE!
Ha, of course I'm telepathically warning you about the water dangers. Typical.